The main gathering place of local people, popularly called „mrkat“
Towards the end of the 19th century, the flourishing of Opatija as a seaside resort led to a rapidly increasing demand for fresh fruit and vegetables. In step with the construction of new villas and hotels, it was intended that the necessary infrastructure should also be developed. As part of this plan, it was decided that the town needed a new market building; this was because in addition to the fact that the custom of selling food on the streets and in houses had been formally outlawed in 1895, the location that had previously been used as the food market was considered no longer suitable for purpose. The building was constructed by the company of Francesco Matiassi in 1898, and has served as a covered market ever since. The fish market was added in 1907. This structure gave Opatija a new market hall whose architectural style complemented the new neighbourhood well, and whose size suited the needs of the time. In addition, the new market building provided people from the areas surrounding Opatija with an additional venue from which to sell their products. This tradition has continued right up to the present day: here in Opatija's market you can still buy fruit and vegetables from the market gardens of Opatija's hinterland, as well as honey, cheese and other typical products of the area. Seafood too, fresh from the Adriatic, continues to be sold here. Of course, apart from being the central place to buy foodstuff, Opatija's market is a popular meeting point for local people and a key landmark of the modern town.
The Town of Opatija restored the market hall and the square in front of it in 2010. On completion, this interpretation board was placed here to serve as a small reminder of that aspect of Opatija's history.